Friday, November 4, 2011


So, My brother asked me to make him a kilt for this race he's running called "The Warrior Dash." It's a 3 mile run and obstacle course. I don't know why he wants to wear a kilt or why he's doing it....I think it's a guy thing.

Here is the pattern I used.

It's a costume pattern but the only one I could find. It asked for 5 1/2 yards of fabric. Which is a lot of fabric. I can only imagine what a 'real' kilt would call for. I've hear it takes upwards of ten yards. That is a LOT of pleats. I found some very cheap, cotton yarn dyed plaid. I cant believe the printed plaid was more expensive. But there you go, life is strange.

Here is the finished product.
Seawolf standing at the apex of my dryer, my water heater, and my deep freeze.

It's being modeled by SeaWolf, my size 12 women's dress form. It's a bit low on her since she's not a 35" waist but she was the only person who was willing to model it. I apologize for the bad pictures. I do not have a great camera, ( I use my phone), I do not have photography skills, I do not have a backdrop, or lots of natural lighting. I do most of my work in the garage where my sewing "room" is. There is no light in there. I sometimes lament that my blog doesn't have great pictures of my work like Making it lovely, or crazy mom quilts, or Anna Maria Horner. But they have the aforementioned things I do not. Instead of spending money and time on acquiring them, I just spend my money and time on doing the things I love. Which is sewing, and quilting and blogging in less than stellar studio space. That being said, if someone wants to come to my house, make me a studio, with gobs of natural light, excellent space, a great camera, and give me a ton of lessons, I would be willing to accept them. Until then, my blog wont be a glorious as those others that I mentioned. More's the pity.

Back to the Kilt, it was a very easy pattern, and simple to complete. There's very little construction past ironing the pleats, and then constructing a waistband. The most time consuming part is ironing the pleats, and then pulling out the threads on the hem to give it a "distressed" look. Other than that, it was a piece of cake. (Now I'm hungry) The problem with cotton plaids is that eventually the creases on the pleats will fall out. The only way to make them permanent is to have a synthetic fabric heat set. But, since this kilt is going to be worn in a race that ends in mud, I don't think my brother will have an issue with less than knife straight pleats. I only made the kilt, not the accompanying spats or drape. Which saved me at least 2 yards. Now I have two yards of a pretty plaid. Another piece of fabric for my collection. Sigh.


No comments:

Post a Comment